The following is an excerpt from Ellen Nakashima | April 26, 2016 | Thewashingtonpost.com |
The FBI intends to tell the White House this week that its understanding of how a third party hacked the iPhone of a shooter in San Bernardino, Calif., is so limited that there’s no point in undertaking a government review of whether the tool should be shared with Apple, officials said.
The decision, said officials familiar with the discussion who spoke on the condition of anonymity, ends several weeks of internal debate by bureau lawyers and technical experts about the FBI’s obligation to disclose the method.
Last month, the FBI paid more than $1 million for a tool to crack an iPhone used by one of the shooters in California. But the contract did not include rights to the software flaws that went into the tool, officials said.
As a result, the bureau has a limited technical understanding of how the method worked, officials said.
On Tuesday, FBI Director James B. Comey acknowledged the internal debate.
For more visit: Thewashingtonpost.com