The following is an excerpt from CBSNews.com | February 22, 2017 |
CANNON BALL, N.D. -- Police are arresting Dakota Access pipeline protesters who’ve failed to meet a deadline to clear a camp on federal land in North Dakota.
The Army Corps of Engineers ordered all protesters to leave by 2 p.m. Wednesday, citing concerns about potential spring flooding. About 150 people met that demand about 1 p.m. when they marched out of the camp. The Morton County Sheriff’s Department said that between 50 and 75 protesters remained as of 5:30 p.m. central time and they could face arrest, CBS News’ Omar Villafranca reports.
With darkness falling, Lt. Tom Iverson said police would not enter the camp Wednesday evening, and he offered no timetable for doing so.
Law enforcement officials say nine people have been arrested in a confrontation outside the Dakota Access pipeline protest camp.
Earlier in the day, some of the last remnants of the camp went up in flames when occupants set fire to makeshift wooden housing as part of a leaving ceremony. Authorities later said about 20 fires were set and two people - a 7-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl - were taken to a Bismarck hospital to be treated for burns. Their conditions weren’t given.
For more visit: CBSNews.com